Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Hitting 80 on Friday!

Wow! This week is supposed to be in the 70's, almost 80 by Friday. Nights only in the 50s. That should really warm up the ground. The warmer days have had a dramatic effect on the returning perennials. The peonies are just about jumping out of the ground. There are violets in the grass.

I pressed some violets in a phone book the other day, along with some daffodils, hyacinths, and tulip petals. Never tried those before; can't wait to see how they turn out. I'm trying to press some of everything has blooms this year.

The green onions finally sprouted. I thought they weren't going to do anything. I guess they just needed warmer dirt. All we need to see now is the carrot and beet sprouts. DD11 checks every day.

I should get more planted. I am swapping some guy in Arizona for some parsnip seeds. We cleaned up some stuff in the yard today. Pulled some weeds and stacked some bricks, preparatory to laying out a new brick path. It will just be a temporary path, with the bricks set right on newspaper over dirt, so I can get into the back corner of the yard after things start growing.

The short breaks taken out in the yard have been sanity-saving lately, as I am yanked in different directions by competing responsibilities.

No comments: