Monday, June 2, 2008

Drying stuff for herbal tea



I used to be a fanatical drinker of tea, Earl Grey in particular. Drank huge quantities of iced and hot tea every day. But then I had to decaffeinate a few years ago, for health reasons. A difficult transition, but now I am happily addicted to iced herbal Red Zinger instead, and getting interested in growing stuff to make my own blends.

I hung up some lemon balm to dry last week. Early this morning, I harvested a lot of peppermint and stripped the leaves to dry. I recently read a discussion about using your car as a giant summer dehydrator. You put screens or baskets in there and by the end of the day, things will be dry. You know, I bet you could fit a lot of screens in an SUV. Maybe that is what we can all do with the big-ass vehicles when they become too expensive to drive.
"Hey, what kind of dehydrator do you use?"

"A Cadillac Escalade."
I miss real tea - black, green, and white. Smokey Lapsang Souchong. This fabulous smooth Chrysanthemum Tea I once got in Chinatown and now cannot find - you could brew it forever and it never got bitter. It's like quitting smoking (which I also did a few years ago) - you always feel a little cheated that something so satisfying should be unhealthy.

1 comment:

Lisa Zahn said...

Oh g-d, I know exactly what you mean about it being like smoking. I have been advised to give up caffeine completely, and I know I should, but whenever I try to give up my black tea addiction (really just 1-2 c./day), I can't stand it. I always go back. It is just such a treat! I feel I'll never give it up. But then, it has to be a heck of a lot less harmful than cigarettes, don't you think?

Don't know if I could take Red Zinger. I can sometimes do the Cel. Seasonings Herbal Tea that's made to resemble black tea. For sure I can do that iced. Iced black tea all day makes my bladder go insane!

Sorry if that's crass. I just so relate to this post!