Friday, March 28, 2008

Taylor's Dwarf Horticultural Bean


Last year, I swapped for seeds that included some Taylor Dwarf Bush Beans. It's an heirloom open-pollinated non-hybrid bush-type bean for drying. Some say they are similar to cranberry beans (borlotti) used by Italian cooks as fresh shelled beans for pasta e fagioli. I planted a few that didn't germinate last year. I am giving them another shot this year.
I put them in a dish to soak for half a day or so. Then I will wrap them in a damp paper towel and see if they show any sign of germinating before I put them in dirt.

Southern Exposure says:
60 days. Popular shell bean. Dates back to the early 1800's when it may have been brought to the U.S. from Italy. Plants are semi-runner (14 to 18 in.), producing cream-colored pods splashed with red streaks. Can be used as snaps early in the season, but pods quickly become stringy and fibrous. Seeds are medium large, pink-buff splashed with carmine.


No comments: