Instead of New Year's Resolutions, we usually make Birthday Resolutions. My birthday seems to be a natural time for me to take stock, and I am more optimistic in the summer than I am at New Year. But I forgot to make any in June. Belatedly, here they are, all themed around planning for an uncertain economic future with high energy costs:
1. Build a solar cooker and learn to use it
2. Learn to can a range of food
3. Start baking bread regularly
4. Prepare for short-term energy outages
5. Store 6 months of food staples
I have lots of other goals, but achieving these 5 would make me feel very good next birthday. All of these also have intermediate steps, so I expect they will keep me busy for the year. I think I can do all of them whether we move or not.